Honoring Community Legacy & Envisioning New Futures
Over the course of 2021, we facilitated a Community Design Process that engaged dozens of community members, stakeholders, and partners in building a long-term vision for the future of Life Do Grow farm. Through a series of in-person and virtual design meetings, we identified our communities top priorities for the farm’s physical and programmatic evolution which includes:
- Expanded community market, vending, and event space
- Increased food production, community garden beds, and a fruit orchard
- Improved public signage, lighting, security, and walkways
- Public amenities such as: hammocks, picnic tables, public exercise and play equipment
- Community programs focussed on ‘building sovereignty’ including: gardening, cooking, medicine making, foraging, STEM education, food & environmental justice, political education, self-defense, financial literacy, social entrepreneurship, story telling, and the arts.
- Co-Working and Co-Creation spaces that provide a platform to support the growth of local and emerging entrepreneurs, artists, growers, educators, healers, and organizers.
Another major theme that came up throughout the design process was the importance of honoring the legacy of our community which inspired the creation of our new ‘Legacy Mural’ which, as the first of many more installations to come, depicts and honors the long history of our land stemming back to its indiginous Lenape roots.
This process was extremely grounding for us, and will inform the ways in which we continue to evolve over the next several years.